The name Whitehall refers to a white hall that existed in the early 1700s as a hunting lodge. Whitehall Township was originally created in 1753 and these days a population of about 25,000 people inhabit the villages of Cementon, Egypt, Fullerton, Hokendauqua, Mickleys, Stiles and West Catasauqua that make up the Township. Coplay incorporated as a borough in 1869.
During the area's mainly agricultural early history there were six Grist mills. Only one remains - the Helfrich Springs Grist Mill home to and lovingly restored by The Whitehall Historical Preservation Society, who work to save, protect and preserve the remaining historical buildings, ruins, and distinctive local land features whenever possible.
Today, Whitehall Township is home to The Lehigh Valley Mall ,the largest Lehigh Valley-based shopping mall, and the area's Bureau of Recreation oversees approximately 370 acres of parkland at 30 different sites throughout the township. Including three municipal pools, facilities for rollerskating, iceskating, picnic areas and the Iron Rail Trail. An outdoor recreational green way that spans more than nine miles, looping in Whitehall and winding through the borough of Coplay and North Whitehall Township. There are plans to have the entire trail paved for biking, rollerblading, walking and jogging enthusiasts.
The Borough of Coplay is six miles (10 km) northwest of Allentown and today has a population of about 3500. The name came from "Kolapechka". Who was the son of the local Lenape tribe's Indian chief, Paxanosa.
Gradually over the course of its history Coplay changed from a farming area into an Industrial Community. The Thomas Iron Company was liquidated, other industries gradually came to Coplay; Cement Mills, a Silk Mill, the Cigar Factory and Knitting Mill. In the early 1900s, the Cement Mills attracted immigrants from Austria, Hungary, Czechoslovakia, Poland, and the Ukraine.
The Coplay Cement Company Kilns is included on tthe National Register of Historic Places.