Back in 1853 when slate was discovered Welsh Settlers named their town Pen Argyl after the Welsh word for mountain “pen” and the Latin word “argilla” for clay/slate. The Lehigh Valley's slate industry was in full swing and the Slate belt was born. Mr Pastie is a local bakery on E Bell Ave that sells great pasties. These hand held pie's were popular with the quarrymen of the area and originally arrived with early settlers from Cornwall, England. Today Pen Argyl is home to about 3600 residents.
In 1923 the town of Pen Argyl purchased the now historical Dentzel Stationary Menagerie Carousel and placed it in the pastoral setting of Weona Park that nowadays houses a swimming pool, picnic pavilions, and a vintage 1950s miniature golf course. A most popular family day trip destination.
The “Gateway to the Poconos” is Wind Gap. A community founded in 1893. Now a town of about 2820 people and named for the gap through which the wind now only blows. The geographical feature is believed to have been originally carved by the Delaware river and was used by the local Native Americans to corral their game for harvesting. They also cleared the forested areas with fire and the nearby rural community of Plainfield Township was named for the resulting treeless landscape.